The Children’s Fund is a resource for public school employees seeking assistance on behalf of public school students for items and services that directly relate to a student’s academic experience and when no other resource is available. Please see the list of items and services included in the guidelines below. Our goal is to help the student receive what is needed as quickly as possible.
Medicaid, insurance, social services eligible, PTAs, school budgets, local civic groups such as the Lions Club, local foundations, Prevent Blindness for vision needs, community services, and school waivers.
Exceptions: We will consider eyeglasses for Medicaid-eligible students when the situation is urgent and on a case-by-case basis. (Example: student breaks or loses eyeglasses two weeks before EOG testing.)
Students enrolled in a North Carolina public school in grades Pre-K through 12.
ONLY North Carolina public school personnel (teachers, guidance counselors, school nurses, etc.). Requests should be on behalf of students within personnel’s school.
No. We work through the public school system only. If a parent or guardian contacts us, we will direct them to their child’s school personnel.
Eyeglasses, school supplies, clothing/shoes, some medications, critical dental services, hearing devices, some individual field trip fees, etc. For specific answers, please refer below
* FOOD: Requests considered on an individual basis. If the need for food is general and the community offers food pantries or other hunger help, those resources should be used.
* DENTAL: We assist in emergency situations to alleviate pain caused by dental issues. Requests are considered on an individual basis and in consideration of our Children’s Fund budget. We do NOT pay for routine dental exams, braces, veneers, other cosmetic dentistry, or measures to repair or save “baby” teeth.
* STUDENT FEES: At this time, we do not pay for standard and required school fees (ie., technology, library, graduation).
* FIELD TRIPS: Field trips are considered for individual students only on a case-by-case basis. We are unable to pay for entire classes or grade levels. We do not pay for expenses that have not been approved PRIOR to the trip taking place, transportation fees (gas, driver, bus) when the field trip will take place even if respective student will not participate. We trust the school will partner with us to give each student the same opportunity.
HOTELS: Only in urgent situations when displacement happens due to house fires, natural disasters, etc. Limitations apply.
We do not pay for rent, therefore, we do not pay for extended hotel stays and when families live in hotels.
Mortgage, rent, hotel housing, utilities and other household expenses.
Summer camps, maintenance and routine medical/dental services, school property damage fees, childcare, non-school activities such as dance, karate, etc. We do not pay for household items such as furniture, mattresses, groceries, utilities.
We do our best to respond within 24 hours (business days).
(Please note exceptions.)
Financial assistance may be provided for a North Carolina Pre-K through 12 public school student for the following once during a school year. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis, therefore, there are times when exceptions are made.
PLEASE NOTE POLICIES BELOW:
* Please review the guidelines above prior to submitting an application. Due to the workload of our small staff, we will not respond to requests made for items/services stated outside of our guidelines.
* You must receive our approval in writing before services are rendered or expenses incurred. NCFPSC will not pay for services or expenses that have not received prior approval. NCFPSC will not reimburse for receipts dated or expenses paid for prior to the request submission.
Direct Payment to Vendor